This blog post is in response to and to make sense of.. the article written by Inga Saffron May of this year in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
I will give you the link but even more importantly I will break down what it means for you.
Ok, background: The “Philadelphia 2035 Plan” modeled after the Philadelphia Planning Commission’s first plan in the 1960’s (which brought us must of the revitalization around Penn’s Landing and Society Hill/ Old City). This NEW plan spearheaded by previous Mayor Nutter along with the Community Development Black Grants set out to revitalize ALL of the 18 districts of the City of Philadelphia.
Saving the BEST for LAST, guess which one they are currently working on? Can you tell. This does not mean that all other efforts in other communities stopped but it does mean it has begun here in “Northwest Philadelphia”.
Ok, JUST THE FACTS
- There are about 4,000 acres of vacant land, containing 40,000 vacant buildings slated to be “addressed”
- Discussing a different Land Tax that would discourage speculation
- Hubs like: Wayne Junction, will be vital as a transportation hub which will put Nicetown and Germantown in the spotlight
- With the completion of two “mid-rise” apartment building being developed or completed on Germantown Ave, developers have begun to notice this upper Philly enclave.
- The Plan is to release the Planning Commissions “Northwest District Plan” at the June 18th meeting.
- There have been developers that have already noticed the area like Ken Weinstein (look for a later post of his influence)
- It does not come without possible pitfall (The Piper’s Glenn, and other stalled projects).
- Look for a flurry of smaller projects in and around the Northwest area to accompany
the larger projects going on.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN TO YOU?
SEE MY NEXT POST OR GIVE ME A CALL TO TALK SPECIFICS ABOUT YOUR AREA
Don’t forget to visit my Real Estate Website or to download my App.